Welcome : I'm glad you stopped by - stay awhile and ponder...

... with THE Purple Fairy

Saturday 14 May 2011

Merriment appears to be Missing from May afterall

I shouldn't be doing this:  there are a million worthy things I SHOULD be doing!  I'm not entirely sure whether it is the meds or the Rat-in-Me-Back that befuddles me, or maybe it's both?  What I do know is that today, the Rat-in-Me-Back is gnawing away despite the meds.  If I thought it wouldn't frighten the animals I let out a primeval scream in an effort to reduce the pain.  As it is my jaw is clenched so tightly I look like a gargoyle atop of the ceiling in 'my church'.

Had a welcome long conversation with Beloved Son and Heir earlier ;  the magic of the 'telling bone' never ceases to amaze me:  what can also be used as a weapon (and usually is by our creditors) is also a way of re-kindling the bonds of love and affection.  The distance between us dwindled to nothing as I listened to the waking up noises of his household.  The contents of the conversation were largely serious and worrisome with bouts of (sometimes hollow and sometimes black) humour but I am chuffed to little bits that he can talk to me.

When our children are young, in their eyes, we are invincible;  we can fix everything cos we are super heroes!  As our children get older the need to fix everything does not go away but it does become harder to do.  The problems are bigger so the solutions are bigger too.  What amazed me about our chat was his pragmatism, optimism and adherence to values beyond the material.  I am very proud of my son.

Everyone I know, including yours truly, is having a bloody awful time of it just now.  Regular readers will recall that I recently scribed that good things happen to me in May.  Hmmmmmmm.  Seems like the Good Fairy got lorst somewhere between the earthquakes and the tornadoes.  Either that or she is saving it all up for the end of the month!!!   So far May has brought terror, death, financial concerns and much worry to me and mine.  Methinks it's time she gave us a break.

One little item in the news did make me smile broadly and made me want to issue a 'Welcome to MY World' badge to all our MPs.  Gerald Kaufman, MP had written a billet-doux to 10 Downing Street and had received a response signed by a woman.  Needing some clarification from the response, Mr Kaufman telephoned Downing Street and asked to speak to the named person.  He was advised that this particular woman did not take telephone calls.  So far so typically cowardly you may think.  'Cept that Mr Kaufman persisted in his request and was eventually advised that, er, actually, the woman did not, er, actually, er exist;  she was in fact, a figment of a computer generated imagination.  Who'd a thought it eh?  A computer having an imagination.  When the deception, for deception it surely was! was exposed the explanation was that this was a strategy in place at Downing Street for reason of security.  Er, yeah right!  I suspect that Central Government were just a tad slow in picking up some of the tricks of the trade from industry.  At least nine years ago this deception was common amongst banking, insurance and utility providers.  I recall getting into a rather heated discussion with a representative of npower.  I had received a nasty, threatening communication from the Company and in my rage telephoned them to discuss the language they had used.  I too was told that the author of the letter did not speak to members of the public on the telephone and I too was, eventually, told that in fact the name was just that, a name.    Central Government has indeed mined the private sector for ideas and to a large extent that's a good thing.   Over the years I have seen the gradual introduction of training materials and strategies that mimic those used in industry and retail.  Unfortunately, successive Governments have been unable to distinguish the wheat from the chaff and appear to have adopted processes wholesale instead of selectively.

I'm not at all sure what we can do about the lack of Merriment in May:  I guess we could all collectively stop time like the Samoan people have but for say, a month rather than a day.  That way we could give May time to catch up with our needs and stop the money men making the little we have even littler.

Ah well, time to decide which of the really, really, REALLY important chores I should be doing next.

May the Angel of Hope walk with you today
Love and Peace
THE Purple Fairy xxx

2 comments:

  1. I love your writings, too! I thought, when you mentioned an MP and a billet-doux, that you were about to comment on the MP who asked whether he could claim expenses for a taxi home because he had broken his leg/ankle and was on crutches. He was told, no. That news surprised me but in a sort of good way...

    Oh, 'reasons of security'!! The practise of everyone in a department signing with the same fictitious name, or all the women claiming to be called Kelly Smith and all the guys saying James Black, is one that I think was started for safety reasons - certainly in Bailiff's offices - but spread like wildfire to pointless places like call-centres, which no angry customer could have possibly located to 'wait outside'. But it becomes truly laughable when an MP is prevented from knowing the identity of the person he's dealing with in Downing Street!

    I'm glad you have such a good relationship with your son that he's able to open up to you. 'Tis the same with my own boy. Wonderful that he's still able to confide but difficult when we know they're dealing with a problem and we still want to be able to smooth it away as we could when they were small. Well, young. Mine overtook me in the height stakes shortly after his thirteenth birthday... At least, for a short while, I inherited the trendy jeans and trainers which he grew out of within about a month of growing into ;)

    May may yet bring good things!

    xJ

    ReplyDelete