Welcome : I'm glad you stopped by - stay awhile and ponder...

... with THE Purple Fairy

Sunday 1 May 2011

Welcome to the Merrie Month of May!

Oh!  What a beautiful Herald she is!  The magikness of May will bathe us all.  This month has always been a kind month to me even though my own birthday month is June.   As I look out of the Hive I see brilliant sunshine caressing the sandstone of 'my' church and highlighting the glorious greenery of my garden and beyond the hedgeline.  Yesterday I saw my first two swallows balancing precariously on the telephone wire, or, as I was in full sun at the time, they may actually have been House Martins! 

The Birthday Beech has today confirmed that it is alive and well as two leaves begin to unfurl to greet the new month.  I just hope that this sharp Easterly wind does not succeed in scorching them off before they have time to fully develop.  The Camellias appear to be less fortunate - naughty Granny Bea! but optimistically I shall not give up on them until I absolutely have to!  Each of my rose bushes shows the promise of a fine season for roses with many buds on each plant.   Incidentally the little pale rose which heads my blog is from my garden but I lost the label sometime ago! 

I did manage some more maintenance yesterday and rescued three plants that should, by rights - having been so badly neglected - have given up the fight.  Such determination and bloody mindedness deserves reward so I have placed them in the planted up wheelbarrow on my patio.  I think there is a red geum called Mrs Bradshaw, although I am not entirely sure that I don't also have a yellow version, in two out of the three pots;  and the largest pot houses Aquilegia Denver Gold.  I am so fond of Granny's Bonnets or Columbine and have many in my garden from the yellow of Denver Gold through to 'black' and white Magpie, a deepest purple, palest pink and a white one.  If I could I think I would set a whole bed exclusively to every possible colour and type!

The wheelbarrow planter did not fare well over the winter months:  not least I suspect because it was parked in a North Westerly position; largely unwatered and wore a thick white coat of snow at least 12 inches deep for several weeks.   Everything, save for the wonderful moss and some bloody minded Sweet William, was killed off.  I shall try and take better care of it this season and proper planning would ensure that something will be in bloom every month

I was rather pleased with the bouquet carried by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge on her wedding day.  My understanding is that white lilac symbolises humility and innocence; Lily of the Valley means sweetness and purity of heart, Sweet William is for gallantry, Ivy for love and affection and finally, Myrtle from the plant set by Queen Victoria.  The messages contained in the bouquet were lovely but its simple delicacy and beauty were, like the rest of the Bride, stunning.  (Observant readers will have noted that, at last, I have actually got her name spelt correctly.  I was, unusually, mislead by the K which is the shortform of her name.  I passionately hate getting names wrong and have severely dealt with myself.)

And with the new month comes much hope.  May's kindness has been with me over the years:  big decisions get made and somehow work to my advantage despite my belief they will always fail.   I really should trust more.  Serious medical matters; legal matters, even major career decisions made in May tend to work out just fine.   There are many existing problems and I confess today to a slight case of the blues and not a little loneliness.  Of course I remind myself constantly not to be so bloody stupid, to be grateful for my blessings and to appreciate the moment. My worries are not confined to me (I have had to take meds early):  they are also shared with my Sister-in-Law, my BF's Sister-in-Law and to some extent my family and friends.  My Father once told me when I was 15 that I would be grey afore I was 30.  Not quite Dad but me and WorryWorm have lasted longer as a partnership than either of my marriages put together!

Be kind to each other and spare some self kindness for you!  I'm off to find a spot in the garden that is NOT being battered by the wind!

Love and Peace
THE Purple Fairy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment