Welcome : I'm glad you stopped by - stay awhile and ponder...

... with THE Purple Fairy

Friday 29 April 2011

I could have resisted.... but I didn't

The last blog may have given the impression that I couldn't care less about the Royal Wedding - I tried really, really hard to foster that belief in the reader.  Don't care!  Won't care!  I insisted  I was uninterested and I was!  Then James Naughty (deliberate spelling following his infamous slip up) came on the radio and I just couldn't bear listening to him.  However I was curious enough to have a little peek and tuned in the BBC News Channel.

I found it hard to conjure up excitement when listening to Huw Edwards (I think) reporting on outfits.  It may have been that his voice displays an obvious lack of enthusiasm or indeed it could have been the scarcity of real information being fed to him.  Instead I took pleasure in checking out the outfits for my ownself.  Strangely I will start with the Groom and the Best Man:  what splendid uniforms!!!!  My goodness all that scrambled egg and vividness - worthy of a Vivienne Westwood creation surely?  I was struck by the broadness of Harry's shoulders.  He really has developed into a fine specimen of manhood and I just love the fact that his hair appears to disobey him at every turn.  Not sure why but William reminded me both of the Royal family in Monaco and Ruritania - I am not being discourteous when I write that - it's just, well just, what came to mind. 

The other thing that struck me was the obvious closeness between the two princes and the fact that just underneath the pomp and ceremony there lurked a couple of lads having a ball!  I believe the affection between them to be real and I cannot help but feel that this is as a direct result of Diana's influence.

When it came to the outfits worn by the laydees my overwhelming feeling was one of simplicity; straight lines, tailored coats and frou frous saved only for the fascinators!  It is often the case that the Bride's mother tends to favour duck egg blue; all frills and froth without the slightest hint of embarrassment.  This Bride's mother looked stunning.  Her elegant outfit complementing rather than competing with the Bride and the colour was an inspired choice.  The Duchess of Cornwall's outfit was also stunning and her advisers are to be praised for their reinvention of the woman who has travelled from hateful interloper to accepted matriarch.  I wish her no ill but I still blame her.

The worst thing any female can do is upstage the Bride and I did not spot one possible outfit that tried to do that.  In fact some almost appeared to be dressed down deliberately.  It's difficult in these challenging times to balance the need for restraint against the need for showing orf!  To the Bride herself:  exquisite - beautifully cut gown that flattered and enhanced her assets adorned with a simple veil and lace.  And the Matron of Honour? Her gown was simply gorgeous and flattering.

As the Bride and Groom, Best Man and Father of the Bride stood before the altar there were two examples of the humanity within the pageantry:  Harry, William and Katherine looked for a while as though they shared a naughty secret and were struggling to repress the laughter that lay just under the surface.  The second example was the Father of the Bride mopping sweat from his brow just before the ceremony commenced.  Poor chap!  It will be some time methinks before he will react to the call to 'stand at ease!'

And soon the Nation will return to it's usual state:  but not before the newlyweds have played their part in bolstering our spirits for a little longer.  It's hard to be churlish so I won't be.  Despite being alone here in my cottage, I have not been able to deny the smile on my face or the pleasure in seeing two hooman beans smiling with joy and I am happy for the world to bask in the fairytale.  May God bless and protect them.

Love and Peace
THE Purple Fairy xxx 
p.s. what's the betting that there is a chorus of 'my feet are killing me' and 'where can I have a ciggie?' as the guests return to the palace?

No comments:

Post a Comment